There can be situations for Massachusetts residents where they may need to move because of their job. When a person is divorced with children, this move may be complicated. There are certain things a person should understand if they are considering a relocation.

If a parent is considering relocating with children who are under a child custody or visitation agreement it can only occur if the other parent agrees to the move. The parent who wants to move must give a notice to the other parent. If the other parent objects, then a judge will decide whether to allow or block the move. Judges will consider many traditional best interest analyses when deciding whether the parent can move. These can include whether the child’s life will improve after the move, what are the adverse effects of modifying the visitation schedule, how will the child’s emotional, physical and developmental needs be affected by the move, what is the parents interest in the move, etc.

If a parent in the Franklin area is considering a relocation, they may want to speak with a legal professional who specializes in family law. An attorney can examine the circumstances of the visitation and custody orders and advise their client on what they need to do to make the move happen. An attorney understands that there are many circumstances in which child custody and visitation needs to be modified and they can help resolve these matters.

Relocating to another city or state can be complicated for parents with children who are under a child custody or visitation agreement. These relocations can happen with good legal counsel.