Susan Rossi Cook, Attorney and Mediator

September 2019 Archives

Is there more than one type of alimony?

Alimony is a form of support that a person pays to their former spouse. Massachusetts residents can request alimony when they end their marriages, and that support can take on different forms depending upon their circumstances. However, it is important that individuals remember that not every divorce will involve alimony. For some, self-sufficiency is possible and alimony may not be needed.

The rare circumstances when you may need to seek sole custody

The family courts in Massachusetts want to do what is best for the children whose parents are going through a divorce. When they decide how to split up custody between the parents, the focus will always be on the best interests of the children, not on the wishes or rights of the parents.

The difference between a contested and an uncontested divorce

In Massachusetts, a person can pursue divorce based on fault grounds or on the no-fault basis of an irretrievably broken marriage. If they choose to use the no-fault basis for ending their marriage, their divorce may be uncontested or contested. A person whose spouse agrees that their marriage is broken and who also wishes to file for divorce may be able to use the uncontested no-fault path to divorce, but if their spouse disagrees with the divorce or the terms of the divorce, the divorce may need to be filed as a contested no-fault process.

Making the most out of the marital property division process

Divorce is often hard on families, especially when Massachusetts' parents end their relationships with each other and search for ways to co-parent their kids. Although it is tough for children to watch their home lives change and their parents move on to lead separate lives, marriage dissolution can be challenging for everyone who must uproot their lives, figure out their finances, and establish themselves without their former familial identities.

Working together when children are sick

As readers of this Massachusetts family law blog may know, there are two distinct forms of child custody that parents may or may not share when they go through divorces. The first form of custody is physical custody. Parents with physical custody can have their kids live with them exclusively or may share their kids with their exes. The second form of custody is legal custody, and, like physical custody, it may be given exclusively to one parent or be shared between them.

Email Us For A Response

Schedule A Consultation With An Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Susan Rossi Cook, Attorney and Mediator


144 Gould Street
Suite 202
Needham, MA 02494

Phone: 508-507-8742
Fax: 508-528-5177

Review Us
Map & Directions